Thursday, June 6, 2013

Home Cookin'


Being raised in a traditional Mexican household, my mother cooked every single meal for the family from scratch.  I remember growing sick of the taste of Mexican rice and yearning for the salty taste of a chili cheese foot long.  Going to McDonald’s was a cause for celebration for my sibling and myself.  Needless to say, fast food was a rare treat growing up.

When I decided to go Paleo, I was a bit frustrated due to a lack of ideas as far as meal preparing was concerned.  While some meals were cooked at home, we were eating out about three to four times a week.  I wondered how I would manage to cook Paleo-friendly meals every single day without growing bored out of our minds.  I remember cooking kale so frequently we quickly got tired of eating it, not to mention all that baked chicken!  I decided we needed some variety in out lives when it suddenly dawned on me that growing up I was eating pretty primal!  For example, I remember eating fajitas with a side of grilled onions and guacamole.  Or say, my mom’s delicious chicken soup full of veggies, which I loved so much.  While I can’t say my mother’ cooking was perfect for my new lifestyle, with a few adjustments, I found myself with a new repertoire of meals that I am able to utilize and incorporate into our menu. 

Lastly, I want to touch on the subject I feel, most people find switching to Paleo so difficult.  I believe the reason is that most people are either scared or completely oblivious of how to cook a meal from scratch.  The whole thought of living without bread can seem pretty terrifying when you have a child who takes his own lunch to school every day.  The key to this lifestyle is learning the basic skills on how to prepare your meals as wholesomely as your time and budget will allow.

No comments:

Post a Comment