Wednesday, June 5, 2013

So You Can't Half-A** Paleo



"I wonder when we'll go back to gluten".  I remember asking my husband as we drove past our favorite fast food place, Rally's.  "I don't know," he said.  "I'm sure we will eventually".

After all, they do have the most amazing French fries in the world!  Wait a minute…. Did I just say that? It was about a month after we started our transition to the Paleolithic diet when I got angry with myself for starting it in the first place.  I remember driving to a fast food restaurant and getting a BBQ cheddar sandwich with a large side of bacon ranch fries.  Right after finishing my meal, I passed out on my couch for three hours, only to wake up to the worst case of vomit and diarrhea I had experienced in my life.  I felt physically drained and sick, I didn't understands at the moment the tremendous effort my body had made to adjust to a new diet.  I think that's the time I realized you can't half-ass Paleo.  I always tell people that the hardest part is making the decision that you want to eat healthy.  I can say that for my family and myself, it was definitely a process.  Switching from "dirty eating" to Paleo eating doesn't have to be a 180-degree switch.  For most people, I find, it's a gradual process.  First comes gluten, and then comes legumes, then come soft drinks in a baby carriage.  

No comments:

Post a Comment